• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Article: Region stays in Labor fold

Started by ozbob, March 26, 2009, 13:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

From the South West News 25th March 2009 page 5

Region stays in Labor fold

QuoteRegion stays in Labor fold
By BELINDA BERRY

BRISBANE'S southwest continues to be Labor heartland with all of the party's candidates winning back their state seats of Inala, Mt Ommaney and Algester on Saturday.

State Member for Mt Ommaney Julie Attwood, however, suffered an almost 5 per cent swing against her despite winning 47.44 per cent of the primary vote.

LNP candidate for Mt Ommaney Tamara Foong gave the incumbent a real challenge for her job, gaining 40.22 per cent of the primary vote.

Ms Attwood said a backlash could only be expected, as she had held the seat for 15 years. "There's always a bit of a backlash for parties who have been in 10 years or more and I'm now in my fifth term," Ms Attwood said.

She said traffic congestion on the Centenary Highway and Sumners Rd, increasing Queensland Rail services particularly in peak time and job security would be her priorities.

State Member for Inala Annastacia Palaszczuk had a convincing win of 64.7 per cent of the primary vote with LNP candidate Leo Perkins gaining 23.43 per cent of votes. "In my new term, I look forward to the construction of the Richlands Railway station, upgrade for roads in the area, the new kindergarten in Forest Lake and the upgrades of local schools," Ms Palaszczuk said.

State Member for Algester Karen Struthers secured her win with 52.74 per cent of the primary vote. There is wide speculation Premier Anna Bligh is considering Ms Palaszczuk and Ms Struthers for ministerial positions.

Meanwhile, Family First candidate Steve Christian claims Ms Struthers assaulted him at the Algester State School polling booth on Saturday.

Mr Christian made an official complaint against Ms Struthers at Calamvale Police station on Monday. Senior Sergeant Lance Bowman said the incident would be investigated. Ms Struthers denies Mr Christian'
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

🡱 🡳