• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

On the Buses

Started by ozbob, August 16, 2007, 19:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brissypete

Still free rides, decided to get the bus instead of train so I don't have to pay.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Otto

Still not working when I finished work at 10:30pm..
:bu :bu Bus Control asked us to reboot the system at about 8pm at our next opportunity. Did a reboot at Ashgrove and it appeared to be working until I left Ashgrove. Discovered the GPS was now buggered !  :bu :bu
7 years at Bayside Buses
33 years at Transport for Brisbane
Retired and got bored.
1 year at Town and Country Coaches and having a ball !

verbatim9

Quote from: Otto on September 03, 2018, 23:59:36 PM
:bu :bu Bus Control asked us to reboot the system at about 8pm at our next opportunity. Did a reboot at Ashgrove and it appeared to be working until I left Ashgrove. Discovered the GPS was now buggered !  :bu :bu
Did they do a software upgrade over the weekend or something?

Whippa

Strangely I had to pay for my 140 home leaving Mater at about 10.

Otto

Quote from: verbatim9 on September 04, 2018, 00:33:14 AM
Yes, that was the cause. Eventually, they had to roll back to the previous version.
7 years at Bayside Buses
Retired and got bored.

verbatim9

Quote from: Otto on September 04, 2018, 13:24:42 PM
Quote from: verbatim9 on September 04, 2018, 00:33:14 AM
Yes, that was the cause. Eventually, they had to roll back to the previous version.
Thought that was the case

CQRail

W5091 running the 11.05pm 460 ex Queen Street this evening. This is the first time I've seen a TAG  running a Centenary route in the 7 months I've lived out this way.

Cazza

Quote from: CQRail on September 18, 2018, 23:21:27 PM
W5091 running the 11.05pm 460 ex Queen Street this evening. This is the first time I've seen a TAG  running a Centenary route in the 7 months I've lived out this way.

Lucky find! I would assume this was a replacement service for another bus that might have been faulty.

In saying this, the particular run sheet may have been a 130 or 140 etc. into the City, then instead of running dead to the depot, it runs the 460 back to Heathwood.

James

This is an occasional occurrence, I once saw a TAG operate a 445 outbound. Never seen it again, so it's pretty uncommon.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

Cazza

Quote from: James on September 19, 2018, 07:55:14 AM
This is an occasional occurrence, I once saw a TAG operate a 445 outbound. Never seen it again, so it's pretty uncommon.

Although, the 445 does get very good loads for an hourly service (particularly on weekends because of Lone Pine and the tourists) so you never know if they might sneak one on :hg

Actually, coming to think of it, I saw some promotion for new services by Translink a few years back (I think) and there was a 212 being run by a TAG. I guess starting at Carindale (and coming out of Carina depot), it's bound to have one scheduled on every once in a while.

Otto

Quote from: Cazza on September 19, 2018, 08:19:52 AM
Quote from: James on September 19, 2018, 07:55:14 AM

Although, the 445 does get very good loads for an hourly service (particularly on weekends because of Lone Pine and the tourists) so you never know if they might sneak one on :hg

Actually, coming to think of it, I saw some promotion for new services by Translink a few years back (I think) and there was a 212 being run by a TAG. I guess starting at Carindale (and coming out of Carina depot), it's bound to have one scheduled on every once in a while.

Tags are common on 212s.. More recently, they have been allocated to some Balmoral services.
7 years at Bayside Buses
Retired and got bored.

Cazza

Re 212s, would that be just because of the way the timetables are generated? I wouldn't think that there would be a capacity problem (just over 16,000 passengers for Oct 2017; around the same as the 232, 353 and 430).

Otto

Quote from: Cazza on September 20, 2018, 20:43:06 PM
Re 212s, would that be just because of the way the timetables are generated? I wouldn't think that there would be a capacity problem (just over 16,000 passengers for Oct 2017; around the same as the 232, 353 and 430).
As an example, a Tag may start on a quiet trip which later leads to a busy peak trip, eg, a 212 in say about 3pm followed by a peak 222 or 200 out . It's a way of getting Tags positioned for busier trips during peaks.
7 years at Bayside Buses
Retired and got bored.

burgo

Spotted an Optimus artic on Coro running a 444 Moggill BUZ. Is this a new thing?

Cazza

Quote from: burgo on October 10, 2018, 19:46:01 PM
Spotted an Optimus artic on Coro running a 444 Moggill BUZ. Is this a new thing?

Nice spot :o

Sherwood buses do run Route 444s (along with Toowong) so it could be the start of them being introduced here. Not sure if anyone has any other info.

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

verbatim9

Quote from: Cazza on October 10, 2018, 20:16:40 PM
Quote from: burgo on October 10, 2018, 19:46:01 PM

Nice spot :o

Sherwood buses do run Route 444s (along with Toowong) so it could be the start of them being introduced here. Not sure if anyone has any other info.

ozbob

Couriermail 26th October 2018 page 30

Surfside transport giant could fetch $200m price

tazzer9

I noticed that one of the new 3 door artic buses is registered under the national heavy vehicle scheme.  However, there was another of these same buses right in front of it with regular qld registration.
Strange as I don't see these buses ever leaving brisbane, let alone the state.

SurfRail

^ The NHV plates are now required for all new heavy vehicle registrations in Queensland from 1 July 2018, and it includes buses.  Same deal in South Australia and Tasmania.  NT and WA are not participating in the NHVR scheme at all so they keep with what they had.  For the other 3 jurisdictions:

- NSW and Vic already had specific rego plate schemes for buses - those are being continued, but all other heavy vehicles will also get the new plates.
- ACT should be the same as us, but the only route buses registered in the ACT are for the ACTION fleet and it appears they are still "BUS ###".
Ride the G:

techblitz

Very Concerning...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1086255021544193&set=p.1086255021544193&type=

QuoteHi Translink
This is my son Lewis. Lewis just got denied entry onto the city bound 66 bus at Mater Hill after a hospital procedure today. Bus rego 488TXL at 13.18pm.

The driver refused us entry and said the bus was too full. It wasn't. There was a lot of room, however he didn't even try to help.

Last week a post of a French bus driver went viral when the driver stopped his bus and allowed a wheelchair user on and kicked all the people who wouldn't move off. Maybe if we lived in France my son could have got home in time.

I'm am shocked disappointed that in Brisbane we are still faced with discrimination towards the disabled community.

ozbob

Thanks TB.  It is has been sent to all outlets FYI.

:-[

https://twitter.com/railbotforum/status/1059467270685024256

James

This is at least partly a sign of how fu%ked the 66 is at the moment... it is getting too full to take passengers at any time of day, not just at the peak. Who would have thought that you would end up with overcrowding on the bus between South Bank and UQ after a 1000-bed student accommodation complex was built at South Bank! :o :o

Given the service goes out full, it should be bumped up to every 5 minutes out of peak and every 3 minutes in the peak IMHO.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

STB

Quote from: James on November 06, 2018, 09:21:18 AM
This is at least partly a sign of how fu%ked the 66 is at the moment... it is getting too full to take passengers at any time of day, not just at the peak. Who would have thought that you would end up with overcrowding on the bus between South Bank and UQ after a 1000-bed student accommodation complex was built at South Bank! :o :o

Given the service goes out full, it should be bumped up to every 5 minutes out of peak and every 3 minutes in the peak IMHO.

The photo shows the inbound platform though...away from Southbank to UQ...?

achiruel

Students resurgent returning home after morning exams, perhaps?

Paul B

The past two days I've been on 4 buses where the drivers all had their side window open the ENTIRE journey. Nah, we don't need air con because the driver doesn't like it.  :bg:

SurfRail

The driver's window being open should have little to no effect on the internal temperature past the driver - they can cope with the doors being opened repeatedly in quick succession, they can cope with one open aperture.

The issue is probably with the air conditioner itself.
Ride the G:

Cazza

Slightly off topic. Down in Sydney, all the train doors open at all stations (unless it is a short platform) so even if one person was getting on, all 16 doors would be open letting the air con rush out.

That was something I found very irritating when I used to live down there, especially on sweltering days. The trains couldn't physically cool the interior down due to the constant opening of the doors.

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on November 06, 2018, 01:22:01 AM
Thanks TB.  It is has been sent to all outlets FYI.

:-[

https://twitter.com/railbotforum/status/1059467270685024256

ABC News --> Boy in wheelchair refused bus ride outside children's hospital, driver 'counselled'

QuoteBrisbane City Council has apologised to a mother and her son after the pair were told they could not fit on a mid-afternoon bus outside the Queensland Children's Hospital (QCH) in South Brisbane.

Sarah Thomas and her 10-year-old son Lewis Railton were trying to catch a bus at Mater Hill station on Monday afternoon after leaving QCH, where Lewis had undergone a serious medical test.

Ms Thomas said the bus driver refused to take them on board, claiming her son's wheelchair would not fit.

"The bus pulled up, let some passengers out and the driver said he couldn't take me and tried to drive away but I waved him down and asked him what was happening," Ms Thomas said.

"He said the bus was too full. I got on the bus and had a look — there was room for another 20 people at least.

"I said that if he didn't let my son on I would report him. He shrugged and said again there was nothing he could do, closed the doors and drove away."

Lewis had been undergoing a sleep-deprived electroencephalogram (EEG) at the hospital as part of his treatment for epilepsy caused by a stroke he suffered when he was only three years old.

'Extremely disappointing': Council

Brisbane Deputy Mayor Adrian Schrinner said security vision showed the driver was in the wrong.

"Council has reviewed CCTV footage of this particular incident and we agree that more should have been done to make room on the bus," he said.

He described the incident as "extremely disappointing".

"Council has invested heavily in accessible buses and bus stops to accommodate passengers with a disability," Cr Schrinner said.

"Bus drivers are expected to ask other passengers to make way for wheelchair users so that they can get to their destination safely and quickly.

"Ensuring the city's public transport services are inclusive and accessible is well and truly front of mind for council, and bus drivers receive extensive training about accommodating people in wheelchairs."

Cr Schrinner said the bus driver involved had been counselled and staff have since offered an apology to Ms Thomas and her son.

'Atrocious outside a hospital'

Accessibility advocate Geoff Trappett said the incident is particularly concerning because the station involved is used by hundreds of hospital patients every day.

"It's absolutely atrocious that it happened at that particular location," he said.

"To know that you're picking people up from a hospital area and that they will be using, in most cases, equipment of some kind, you would think that the driver would have had training in that area.

"The fact the training hasn't sunk in is a terrible, terrible tragedy for all involved, one that should really shake the ground of the transport providers across Queensland."

Ms Thomas said transport authorities needed to take accessibility seriously.

"My hope is that if it does happen again, people do speak up and don't put up with this behaviour," she said.

"It is hard enough living in the disabled world, whether you personally have a disability or you care for someone with a disability. There are so many other things we are faced with that impacts us every day.

"Having something like this really is just another blow that we have to deal with.

"There are kind transport operators out there I know, however the training that they are receiving perhaps needs to have a stronger message."

ozbob

Couriermail --> Bus driver to keep job despite refusing ride to boy in wheelchair

QuoteA BRISBANE bus driver will keep their job despite refusing a ride to a child in a wheelchair.

Sarah Thomas was with her 10-year-old son Lewis, who lives with epilepsy, when they were was told there was no room for his wheelchair, leaving them stranded outside the Queensland Children's Hospital on Monday afternoon.

"We were tired, it was hot, we just wanted to get home," Ms Thomas said. "Lewis was a bit sad, he said 'Mummy why is the bus driving away, why didn't it take us?' ... it's heartbreaking to see him go through those situations."

Security camera footage from on-board shows there was plenty of room to let them in despite the driver's claims.

Brisbane Lord Mayor Graham Quirk said he was "staggered" when he heard about the situation and apologised to the family.

"All of our buses are accessible and we do specific driver training around this," he said.

"It's a shame and it's unfortunate that this incident occurred and obviously we apologise to the mother and her son in particular."

The Courier-Mail understands the driver has been counselled, but has held on to their job.

https://twitter.com/railbotforum/status/1060564514184122374

ozbob

Cazza

https://translink.com.au/service-updates/203826

A new bus for Ripley Valley

From early 2019, a new bus route will be introduced into Ripley Valley.

Route 531 will connect with trains at Springfield station and buses at Yamanto Village, making travel to Brisbane city and Ipswich easy.

There will be 14 services a day (in each direction) and will operate Monday to Friday, between approximately 5.30am and 10pm.

Stopping locations
This service will stop in the following locations:

Springfield Central station and Orion Shopping Centre
Providence Harmony Crescent
Providence Splash 'n' Play
Ripley Town Centre
Ecco Ripley
Yamanto Village.
Map of bus route

Information stalls
Come and have a chat to us at any of the below information stalls.

Date   Time   Location
Saturday, 10 November 2018   8am to 10.30am   Providence Community Expo, Providence Centre
Monday, 12 November 2018   6.30am to 9am   Springfield Central station
Thursday, 15 November 2018   3pm to 8pm   Ripley Town Centre
Wednesday 21 November 2018   4pm to 6pm   Springfield Central station
Thursday, 22 November 2018   9am to 8pm   Ripley Town Centre
Thursday, 29 November 2018   3pm to 8pm   Ripley Town Centre
Saturday, 1 December 2018   9am to 4pm   Ripley Town Centre
Saturday, 8 December 2018   9am to 4pm   Ripley Town Centre
More sessions will be added in the new year, please keep checking back.

Timetables
A timetable and more details about when this bus will be in service will be available soon, please keep checking this page for more information.

More information
We'll keep this page updated as more information becomes available about route 531, please keep checking back.

#Metro

There's your train line extension!  :bg:  :bna:
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Otto

Quote from: Paul B on November 07, 2018, 14:05:28 PM
The past two days I've been on 4 buses where the drivers all had their side window open the ENTIRE journey. Nah, we don't need air con because the driver doesn't like it.  :bg:

I always have my window open..
My window is open as the sounds I hear as I'm driving play a big part in how I drive. Sounds alert me to many situations on the road that I may miss with the window closed. This may sound strange to people nowadays who drive in cocoons insulated from outside , but believe me, hearing outside noises is important when driving a large vehicle in City traffic.

p.s. I do like my aircon on !
7 years at Bayside Buses
Retired and got bored.

red dragin

The above is why I'll always ride a motorbike without headphones, hearing what is happening around you is key.

I will wear loosely fitted ear plugs on long rides to reduce fatigue though.

achiruel

Quote from: Cazza on November 09, 2018, 17:55:40 PM
There will be 14 services a day (in each direction) and will operate Monday to Friday, between approximately 5.30am and 10pm.

Span is good, frequency is garbage, and lack of weekend services is f*#king unacceptable!

ozbob

Quote from: achiruel on November 10, 2018, 10:38:50 AM

Span is good, frequency is garbage, and lack of weekend services is f*#king unacceptable!

It is a start.  They seem to always go in half baked sadly. 

It has been bit of battle to get this.

It will not be too long before frequency and 7 day running comes in the way things are happening around Ripley ..  :-t

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: ozbob on November 10, 2018, 10:52:01 AM
Quote from: achiruel on November 10, 2018, 10:38:50 AM

It is a start.  They seem to always go in half baked sadly. 

It has been bit of battle to get this.

It will not be too long before frequency and 7 day running comes in the way things are happening around Ripley ..  :-t

Still a 1400% service increase over the 314

ozbob

🡱 🡳