• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

New station names on the SEQ Citytrain network

Started by verbatim9, February 01, 2021, 17:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verbatim9

The Courier Mail reported today that Roma Street station may be re-named Grand Central Station, whilst Central becomes Anzac Square Station.

verbatim9

^^I like the idea., South Brisbane should be renamed Cultural Street Station, despite the integrated station not going ahead for a while.

#Metro

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

verbatim9

I have mentioned this before in regards to the debate of renaming South Brisbane station to Cultural Centre Station. Within the CBD and inner city, it makes sense to name stations after iconic landmarks and tourist attractions to make it easier to navigate the Public Transport system. We have South Bank, hopefully Cultural Centre Station. Now Grand Central Station and Anzac Sq Station. Any ideas for Albert Street? Should it be renamed as well? Would Albert St be best renamed to represent the indigenous community. Mianjin/(Meanjin Station)? The Turrbal are an Aboriginal Australian people from the region of present-day Brisbane, Queensland. The name primarily referred to the dialect they spoke, the tribe itself being alternatively called Mianjin/Meanjin. Mianjin was the Turrbal word for the central Brisbane area.

It may create a bit of confusion navigation wise and most people wouldn't relate Meanjin to Albert St or the Brisbane CBD.

verbatim9

If anyone is looking for the source its in the Feb 1 print edition under confidential Gleeso, Page 15

QuoteNames on Track

THE tip is that the new Roma St transport precinct – part of Cross River Rail – will be called Grand Central Station with Central station renamed Anzac Square station.

ozbob

Yuck ...   I still call Southern Cross Spencer Street station ... lol

:P
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

SurfRail

I wouldn't have a problem renaming Central, but I think Roma Street is a much better name to hang onto.  There's no ambiguity about it.
Ride the G:

STB

If anything, Albert Street effectively is the new Central station as it's located pretty much in the centre of the city (albeit only having 2 lines passing through it, Gold Coast and potentially some Beenleigh services).

I'd personally prefer that South Brisbane and Roma Street keep their names, it represents the locations that they serve.  The existing Central station could potentially be renamed, I'd throw in the hat of either Spring Hill or Anzac Square, as the current Central station serves more of those locations more than anything else.

timh

I'd happily have Central renamed to Anzac square or another suitable name. It makes less and less sense as we get more of these stations with "Central" in the name (ie. Springfield Central, proposed Flagstone Central).

Roma Street should stay as is though. It may have a gazillion platforms but it's neither GRAND enough nor CENTRAL enough to be warranted being called GRAND CENTRAL.

Gazza

Personally I prefer to name stations after suburbs rather than streets (So IMO it should be Sadliers Crossing rather than Thomas St for example)

Boggo Junction to be the southside counterpart to Eagle Junction. Either way, park road needs to go.

I think it should remain South Brisbane rather than Cultural Centre.

I was thinking Roma St could have been Brisbane Transit Centre. Grand Central sounds a bit wanky.
But if they are to give it a new name as a landmark in itself., then Mianjin would be it surely?

Central should stay central I'm sorry.

I wish there was a better name for Albert St. Frogs Hollow isn't well known enough if we were to name it after the district. CBD south would be too bland.
Too far from Gardens Point.

ozbob

I'm with you Gazza,  ' Frogs Hollow ' would be a rippa name!  :-c

Tim re Roma St " neither GRAND enough nor CENTRAL enough to be warranted being called GRAND CENTRAL. " Agreed ...

Frogs Hollow for Albert St makes a lot more sense than ' Grand Central ' would for Roma Street.
That must have been thought up in the morning tea room at Big Willy or something ...

(Frogs Hollow > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frog's_Hollow)

Gazza

Obvious one too...why not simply call Roma St "Brisbane station"?

But for that to work you'd need to call Central Anzac Sq.

#Metro

What about calling it pineapple, banana or police station?

Union station or world class station would have to be in there?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

achiruel

Gazza

verbatim9

The Government / TMR will probably have some kind of survey questions with a few options?

verbatim9

^^In Sydney, Central Station is not really Central but they still call it Central, maybe due to the interchange component of it all. Like what they are trying to achieve with Roma Street. (Grand Central)  :)

ozbob

For interest Roma Street station was first known as Brisbane Terminal Station when opened 1875.  It was changed to Roma Street Railway Station in 1889 when Brisbane Central Station was opened.

https://apps.des.qld.gov.au/heritage-register/detail/?id=601208

aldonius

Everyone's just about gotten over the Brunswick St to Fortitude Valley renaming, and the Vulture St to South Bank renaming (well, except now that people get confused with South Brisbane). Those were both street -> locality conversions.

Central could be renamed to "Anzac Square", but then it and Albert St will have the same initials. This isn't that big a deal but it is something to keep in mind. IMHO there's no good rename for Albert St to avoid that clash, but if one eventuates I have no problems with "Anzac Square". The name "Spring Hill" should be avoided as it's not actually in that suburb.

Roma St could arguably be renamed "Brisbane Station" given its long-distance credentials, provided Central did actually get renamed to something else as it's often called "Brisbane Central" presently. I'm quite against "Grand Central" as a rename for Roma St; I think it's both pretentious and confusing.

... what if Albert St was what got the Meanjin name? Solves any initials clash and it's the most likely to go underwater :hg
And then "Central" can happily give up its centrality and become "Anzac Square". Roma St can do whatever.

AnonymouslyBad

Quote from: verbatim9 on February 02, 2021, 15:41:59 PM
^^In Sydney, Central Station is not really Central but they still call it Central, maybe due to the interchange component of it all. Like what they are trying to achieve with Roma Street. (Grand Central)  :)

In a network sense, it's definitely the "Central" station. This is fairly common usage and I don't think it's confusing to most people (even non-transport nerds ;))
(Brisbane) Central on the other hand, is neither geographically nor logically central to anything.

I'd support renaming Central station to Anzac Square. It's the obvious name and one that I'm sure we've all thought of in the past.

Roma Street should probably stay as it is. "Grand Central" just sounds, well, wanky. This isn't New York. Grand Central would also be confusing if Central station has only just changed its name. Safety concerns alone will probably be enough to kill the idea. There's nothing wrong with Roma Street as a name!

verbatim9

Quote from: ozbob on February 02, 2021, 15:55:36 PM
For interest Roma Street station was first known as Brisbane Terminal Station when opened 1875.  It was changed to Roma Street Railway Station in 1889 when Brisbane Central Station was opened.

https://apps.des.qld.gov.au/heritage-register/detail/?id=601208

They used to call the intercity trains arriving at Sydney Central (Sydney Terminal) but now I am pretty sure its just referred to as Sydney Central.

verbatim9

This is the start of some big network changes. Sounds to me that Central (Anzac Sq) Station will become a through station with no or minimal dwell times unlike what occurs now. There is no advantage even at the moment to change at Central. One could change at Roma Street, Fortitude Valley or Bowen Hills. Central is not really an interchange station in Brisbane.

I guess Bob can confirm this with his meeting with Nick Easy?

#Metro

verbatim9

You mean Anzac Sq Station with floor to ceiling glass screen doors and an upgrade to A/C.  :)

timh

Quote from: #Metro on February 02, 2021, 20:18:27 PM
Will Central get platform screen doors?
Not on the cards. Also not on the cards for Exhibition which bugs me. Perfect opportunity to install them at a brand new inner city station

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

aldonius

Quote from: verbatim9 on February 02, 2021, 20:08:00 PM
Central is not really an interchange station in Brisbane.

Well, Central is the interchange for some line pairings. And it needs longer dwell times to an extent, because its patronage is over 3x higher than any other station.

ozbob

ozbob

Interesting thread so far.  I think the consensus view is leave the name Roma Street station as is. 

Grand Central for Roma Street is a big political wank I suspect.

Central station name change is fair game though, although personally I would be happy to leave it as is.  Alternates Anzac Square ?  Brisbane? Any others?

timh

Anzac Square or Meanjin

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

aldonius

Having slept on it I really like "Anzac Square" as a Central rename and "Meanjin" as an Albert St rename.

("Meanjin" is the name for the CBD peninsula, so it's most appropriate for Albert St.)

Meanwhile, Roma St should stay as is. Between the station and the parklands it's practically a precinct in its own right.

achiruel

Quote from: aldonius on February 02, 2021, 21:23:15 PM
Quote from: verbatim9 on February 02, 2021, 20:08:00 PM
Central is not really an interchange station in Brisbane.

Well, Central is the interchange for some line pairings. And it needs longer dwell times to an extent, because its patronage is over 3x higher than any other station.

Patronage at Central will likely decrease considerably when Albert St opens.

verbatim9

Station names that should be put forward to the Public via a survey by TMR

1. South Brisbane
a. Cultural Centre Station
b. South Brisbane (Cultural Centre)
c. Other and Why?________

2. Roma Street
a Roma Street - Central
b Grand Central

3 Central Station
a. Anzac Square Station   
b. Central Station (Anzac Sq)
c. Other and Why?__________

4. Albert Street
a. Meanjin Station
b. Albert Street Station - Meanjin

aldonius

Quote from: achiruel on February 03, 2021, 11:32:23 AM
Patronage at Central will likely decrease considerably when Albert St opens.

I would suggest Albert St will take 30-40% of Central's patronage. That's assuming people mostly use the station their train goes through.

Gazza

1. South Brisbane

2. Roma Street
a Roma Street - Central
b Grand Central
c. Other and Why? Brisbane Station

3 Central Station
a. Anzac Square Station 

4. Albert Street
a. Meanjin Station

timh

1. South Brisbane

2. Roma Street
a Roma Street - Central
b Grand Central
c. Other and Why?

3 Central Station
a. Anzac Square Station

4. Albert Street
a. Meanjin Station

kram0

1. South Brisbane

2. Roma Street
a Roma Street - Central
b Grand Central

3 Central Station
a. Anzac Square Station   

4. Albert Street
a. Meanjin Station

ozbob

1. South Brisbane

2. Roma Street
a Roma Street - Central
b Grand Central

3 Central Station
a. Anzac Square Station   [This would require DVA approval]

4. Albert Street
a. Meanjin Station
b. Albert Street Station - Meanjin  although I do like Frog's Hollow ..  :P

ozbob

While we are at it change Gailes back to its original name of Dingo Hill.   :bg:

Stillwater

Remember when we had to wean the QR public relations jockeys away from calling the South-East rail network 'world class'? The term appeared in every second piece of information that QR generated. Now that QR has a pretty expensive 'Underground' (Cross River Rail), they are inclined to want to call it 'grand', stupendous' and 'jaw-dropping'.  Let's face it, the network has not seen a dollop of money like this for ages.

So, given its location and status, Roma Street Station would have claim to being the 'central to everything else on the network', therefore the 'central' nomenclature comes into play. This would rob (existing) Central of its name and, therefore, it would be a bit hard for the punters still getting used to Brunswick Street become Fortitude Valley Station to call Roma Street 'Central'. Hence you can see the bureaucratic cogs turning to favour GRAND CENTRAL as Roma Street Station's new name. (Bear in mind it will have an entertainment centre on top.) Grand indeed.

Except that most 'grand central' stations are usually in the centre of town, opening to some treed plaza or people's space. Roma Street sits on the edge of town opening to the Police Headquarters, the Brisbane Remand Centre and courts. Renaming Central Station as Anzac Square Station has a certain ring to it. Maybe something like 'Citygate Station', not sure on that one.

Certainly, under this scenario, Roma Street Station would have a claim to becoming the new 'Central Station', but 'Grand Central Station' becomes a bit pretentious.  Melbourne handled things well when Spencer Street Station was renamed Southern Cross Station - grand without having to use the actual word 'grand'.

A real dilemma.

🡱 🡳