• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Perth visit December 2017

Started by ozbob, August 09, 2017, 08:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

#Metro

QuoteThe money would not be for the personal use of a politician and would be to the department (TMR).  Most likely, any such offer would be politely declined and the money returned.  If pushed further, it might be accepted and put to an employee welfare fund.  But, who cares.  It is money to buy publicity showing up the woeful state of PT in SEQ.  Such an offer is in keeping with TMR/QR's own focus on image, not substance.

Perth runs trains very well, even on the older lines what have closely spaced stations like Brisbane.

My understanding is that they have old stations like Brisbane as well, but that those are compliant with DDA and easy boarding.

I think there should be a ban on all new stations not having straight and level platforms.

I think Perth had freight on the network as well for a while but they separated that out over time.

Stillwater, you should save up the money and rather than "donate" it to MPs or public servants who are already relatively well-paid, buy

a plane ticket to Perth.

The shadow minister for PT should take a trip there sometime.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

JimmyP

Quote from: #Metro on December 22, 2017, 09:04:40 AM
QuoteThe money would not be for the personal use of a politician and would be to the department (TMR).  Most likely, any such offer would be politely declined and the money returned.  If pushed further, it might be accepted and put to an employee welfare fund.  But, who cares.  It is money to buy publicity showing up the woeful state of PT in SEQ.  Such an offer is in keeping with TMR/QR's own focus on image, not substance.

Perth runs trains very well, even on the older lines what have closely spaced stations like Brisbane.

My understanding is that they have old stations like Brisbane as well, but that those are compliant with DDA and easy boarding.

I think there should be a ban on all new stations not having straight and level platforms.

I think Perth had freight on the network as well for a while but they separated that out over time.

Stillwater, you should save up the money and rather than "donate" it to MPs or public servants who are already relatively well-paid, buy

a plane ticket to Perth.

The shadow minister for PT should take a trip there sometime.

The Perth network was completely rebuilt back in the 90s (?), making things much easier than here in that regard. And yes, freight is mostly (if not completely.. unsure about the Fremantle freighter) seperate and has been for quite some time now.
As far as I can tell, all new stations in QLD have all been straight and level. Nerang would be the last curved platform that I know of being built in QLD (but is full height at least, same with Ormeau). Refurbished is another story though..

SurfRail

^ All Gold Coast line stations except Varsity Lakes feature some curvature, but it's gradual and has never been an impediment to boarding or train supervision.  Certainly won't be seeing anymore Gaythornes at any rate.
Ride the G:

Cazza

^Jesus Christ. I had to board on the outbound platform at Gaythrone once and I was thinking of heading over to a local hardware shop to buy a step ladder. Definitely not the most friendly for disabled users.

Gazza

They seriously just should rebuild the station over Pickering St with side platforms.

James

I have a radical suggestion - close Gaythorne station. It is only 700m from Enoggera station, and 1.1km from Mitchelton as the crow flies, and also has access to the 390 bus service, which could be modified and integrated with the bus/rail network to provide connections to those stations as necessary.

Not only does it save money on DDA compliance, it improves safety (less chance of falls, slips and trips when disembarking), it reduces travel times by 1 minute for all passengers travelling from Mitchelton and further out. Yes, it is only one minute, but when multiplied by a few thousand passengers per day, it offsets the 5-10 minute increase in trip time for the few hundred who use Gaythorne.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

#Metro

There is a flat section of track at the end of Bere street, could be an alternative location for the station.

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

🡱 🡳