• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Thomas Street platforms being extended

Started by Gazza, July 04, 2015, 20:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gazza

Is this new news?

A typical station is 160m long or so, so an extra 35m will bring Thomas St from 73m to 108m, which I still don't quite get.
Why not go the whole hog and make it long enough for a 6 car train.
Or are they doing it in two bites?

And rename it Sadliers Crossing while we are at it.
QuoteQueensland Rail will be undertaking construction works at Thomas Street station
between July and October 2015 as part of the Wulkuraka Connection Works.
These works involve extending both platforms at Thomas Street Station by
approximately 35m towards Ipswich and minor station upgrade works including
CCTV camera modifications.
Thomas Street station will be closed from Saturday 4 July to Sunday 5 July 2015 to
undertake platform extension works. Access to Thomas Street station will not be
available during this period.
During these works, local residents and surrounding areas may experience some
construction noise, heavy machinery fitted with reversing beepers for safety and
increased truck movements, however Queensland Rail will make every effort to
keep disturbance to a minimum.
Queensland Rail appreciates the understanding of the community as they deliver the
essential connection works for the New Generation Rollingstock Project.
Community

ozbob

Wow, thanks for picking this up.  I think this is reasonably significant  Need to get my head around it but might have something to do with improving ease of running 6 cars through to  Wulkuraka even the extension is not full 6 car might make it a bit easier to manage.

There some constraints at extending from memory.  I have some photographs somewhere might try to get out there pronto this week too.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Will probably head out Tuesday to have a look.

ozbob

The pic above is looking towards Ipswich, the direction of the extensions.

ozbob

Twitter

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow 3h

. @QueenslandRail G'day! Pleased note platform exts. for Thomas St, still not quite 6 car.  What is the reasoning please?  Thanks ..

bretto82

Hey bob it looks like it has to do with a turnout between the station and bridge and associated signalling changes in the area the turnout under the city view hotel is getting removed as well as the two just on the western side of wulkuraka station Thomas street is a bit of a head case to extend due to the subway and the cutting on the ippy end

ozbob

Quote from: bretto82 on July 05, 2015, 08:59:31 AM
Hey bob it looks like it has to do with a turnout between the station and bridge and associated signalling changes in the area the turnout under the city view hotel is getting removed as well as the two just on the western side of wulkuraka station Thomas street is a bit of a head case to extend due to the subway and the cutting on the ippy end

Thanks!

BrizCommuter

A cutting doesn't prevent a platform extension, it just makes it a bit more expensive.
This sounds like it is going to be another example of a "half-arsed Queenslander" project.

ozbob

Quote from: BrizCommuter on July 05, 2015, 10:02:39 AM
A cutting doesn't prevent a platform extension, it just makes it a bit more expensive.
This sounds like it is going to be another example of a "half-arsed Queenslander" project.

Been out for a look this morning..  Presently on train. The cutting / curve is achievable for a full extension IMHO ..  The subway does make it awkward at the Rosewood end. pics later ..

Footings done for 40m exts.  Still lot to be done.

ozbob

Lovely peaceful location is Thomas Street station ..

Twitter pics

Photographs R Dow 7th July 2015

ozbob

This is only a partial platform ext from 3 car to a bit over 4 car.  Why?

The only reason I can come up with is it might have something to do with the configuration of the NGR trains.  The guard will be in the rear, but mobility impaired access will remain in the centre.  So the extra length might make it a bit easier to manage as needed.

Otherwise why bother?

ozbob

I also managed a weird fixed-fare at Ippy  Seniors

08:19 AM    Goodna    08:57 AM    Ipswich    $ 2.33         $ 12.22
09:07 AM    Ipswich    09:11 AM    Cancel Touch On    $ 0.00         $ 12.22
09:15 AM    Ipswich    09:37 AM    Thomas St    $ 0.00         $ 12.22
09:46 AM    Thomas St                 
Unknown    Failed to touch on    10:30 AM    Ipswich    $ 5.00         $ 7.22
   10:30 AM    Ipswich    $ 0.00         $ 12.22
10:43 AM    Ipswich    11:26 AM    Goodna    $ 1.86         $ 5.36

=================

Hope punters are alert to this!!  Adjustment claimed ...

SurfRail

I don't think QR have anybody working for them who knows anything about infrastructure management or how to manage capital expenditure.  The whole thing is just one cluster after another.
Ride the G:

James

Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

ozbob

Quote from: BrizCommuter on July 07, 2015, 20:27:15 PM
The BrizCommuter word:
http://brizcommuter.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/qr-extend-platforms-to-shorter-than.html

I asked QR 3 days ago what the rationalisation was behind the extensions.  Just an acknowledgement of the question received no reasons why ..

How hard can it be?

It is not the biggest issue in the world, but surely there must be a reason for doing it?   Or is it a hang-over from when Ms. Nolan was transport Minister - Thomas St was the station closest to her residence I understand.   :P

colinw

This is utterly pointless, and its not like either the subway or the cutting are that much of an obstruction when you look at what was done elsewhere on the system.

Having a platform of other than 3- or 6- car length is just asking for an accident when a door gets opened in the wrong place.

I'd say escalate it to the political types, and QLD Times as well.

ozbob

Just received this response:

Twitter

Queensland Rail ‏@QueenslandRail 4m

@Robert_Dow Hi, we're undertaking construction works at Thomas St station between July & October as part of the Wulkuraka Connection Works.

=================

^

Twitter

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow 11s

@QueenslandRail Thanks, know that. But why are the platforms being partially extended?  Surely a full 6 car extension would be best? Thanks.

#Metro

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Agent 99 was marvellous  ...  back to work  :P

Update ...

Twitter

Queensland Rail ‏@QueenslandRail 43s

@Robert_Dow Hi Robert, We have reached out to our team for an answer. Will respond as soon as we have a response.

ozbob

I luv living in Queensland ... just sayin' ...

dancingmongoose

If they're undertaking works within a 2-3 month period then maybe they're doing it progressively? Out to 4, then some landscaping if needed before extending again to finish with 6.

ozbob

One of the scenarios I suggested to QR was is it the first phase of a full extension? 

Stand by ...

colinw

Perhaps it portends the introduction of 4 car ICE sets on the RosewoodLander.  :fo:

ozbob

Quote from: colinw on July 08, 2015, 12:27:16 PM
Perhaps it portends the introduction of 4 car ICE sets on the RosewoodLander.  :fo:

The thought has occurred.  I look forward to clarification  :frs:

Arnz

A "RosewoodLander" ICE would have to be limited stops eg Gympie North style (eg Roma Street to Ipswich then all from there), but then again I wouldn't be surprised if they use it for shuttles just like the old Corinda-Yeerongpilly ICE shuttles in the late 90s/early 2000s. :fo: :fo:

From what I understand the pool of drivers trained on the ICE is dwindling (which is primarily Caboolture/Nambour based crews) considering the ongoing rumours across the internet world of the ICE sets being phased out as the NGR as delivered. 

IMO don't think QR would want to train more crew on a set that has ongoing problems and is continually dogged with rumours of being phased out over the years.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

red dragin

Quote from: colinw on July 08, 2015, 12:27:16 PM

Perhaps A10 No.6 is going back into full time service  :lo

ozbob

If, and it is a very BIG IF, the ICE was used on Rosewood it would be just for the shuttle Arnz. 

I have fond memories of the ICE on the TennysonLander  :o  (for those not blessed with the TennysonLander, the ICE was used for a significant period for the Corinda <-> Yeerongpilly shuttle).

Nov 2009, this was a tour, but brought back happy memories of THE TENNYSONLANDER

ICE at Tennyson

From 30 Years of Electric Trains ARHS Qld "Under The Wires" Tour and discussion
>> http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=2668.0

colinw

Hehe.  I *was* joking about the ICE sets, but then again this is Queensland.

As an aside, besides Caboolture to Gympie North, Ipswich to Rosewood is the other bit of ATP equipped track in the suburban system.

ozbob

We want the RosewoodLander .... we want the RosewoodLander ....  :P :o :pr

thats a mouthful, how about RoseLander!!   :bg:

Anything is possible in Queensland  :o :bna:

ozbob

Yes, ICEs are going to retire is my guess.

Just mucking around whilst waiting for ' an official response ' to what is a very basic question ...  :P

ozbob

I have another ' theory ' as to what might be going on here ..

The extension is to enable a DDA compliant upgrade to access the platforms from subway ? ?   When this is done, the platform length will remain 3 car length.

The lost platform will be needed to make ramps etc. 

Good theory?   :P :o :hc   

#Metro

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

While we are waiting for the answer to the perplexing question of why Thomas Street station platforms are being extended ...

a nice song to enjoy   :bg: :o :P :-t

colinw

ozbob

colinw

While they are at it, how about renaming the station to the locality name. Thomas St is a silly name for a station.

#Metro

There must be some absolute MAJOR high level investigation / panic going on behind the scenes - it does not take this long to get a simple answer to such a simple question!

:hg

🡱 🡳