• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Coomera - Helensvale Duplication

Started by ozbob, December 05, 2014, 16:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Gold Coast Bulletin --> Gold Coast-Brisbane rail upgrade will see trains leave every 7.5 minutes

QuoteTRAINS between the Gold Coast and Brisbane will leave every 7.5 minutes instead of every 10 during peak commuter hours, once duplication of the last section of single line is finished in 2017.

Construction of the $163 million project is set to start in March and increase capacity from six trains an hour to eight in peak times, as well as improve reliability of the service.

Capacity will also double in the opposite direction to the peak traffic, with morning trains from Brisbane to the Gold Coast, as well as evening trains going the other way, to run every 15 minutes instead of every 30.

The 8.2km upgrade between Helensvale and Coomera, will allow 900 more passengers to make the Brisbane-Gold Coast commute every hour in peak times, relieving some of the crowding of the heavily-used commuter network which hosts 4.5 million journeys each year.

The completed lines will be able to handle up to 17 trains an hour if required in future.

Transport and Commonwealth Games Minister Stirling Hinchliffe said the duplication meant northbound trains would no longer have to wait for southbound trains to leave the section before continuing their journey.

"When we're in the middle of the Commonwealth Games we will be able to operate eight trains per hour in each direction," he said.

The project tender was awarded to Golding Contractors yesterday and is expected to generate about 200 construction jobs for engineers, management supervisors, civil, concrete and steel workers and tradespeople.

Robert Dow, of public transport advocate Rail Back on Track, said the upgrade would remove a bottleneck that often caused delays.

"If there's a problem on that section now, the trains are unable to run around it," he said.

"It will be great news for the Gold Coast, particularly with the road congestion issues."

An extra three trains were added during morning peak hour last January, along with an extra four in the afternoon.

Mr Dow said there was an issue with signalling at Beenleigh that caused delays – an issue Mr Hinchliffe said Queensland Rail was working to improve.

The minister said an independent review would decide whether the trip would become more expensive as well as more frequent.

It costs $13.09 for an adult with no concessions to take the train one-way from Varsity Lakes to Central Station with a go card, or $18.90 for a single trip ticket.

"There's no question that affordability is a concern – that's why we've committed to this review," Mr Hinchliffe said.

Coomera MP Michael Crandon said the duplication would finally allow the Gold Coast line to operate at full efficiency.

"This opens it up to well above the (required) capacity for the Gold Coast line," he said.

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

#Metro

QuoteCapacity will also double in the opposite direction to the peak traffic, with morning trains from Brisbane to the Gold Coast, as well as evening trains going the other way, to run every 15 minutes instead of every 30.

I'm confused. So 15 minute trains possible in each direction off peak? Is that right?
I always thought this wasn't possible because of the Beenleigh line not being quad track. Am I missing something??
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

There are some other things going on that have not been detailed as I understand.  Signalling and track layout improvements.  I know that there are some signalling upgrades happening Beenleigh - Ormeau, and I assume other changes between Beenleigh and Kuraby and at Beenleigh.  Not sure though if that will get 15 minutes each direction over the line.  It will be certainly possible Beenleigh <-> Varsity Lakes as it is with the track amplification of course, how it works out in from Beenleigh not so confident.

verbatim9

Quote from: ozbob on December 17, 2015, 03:11:24 AM
There are some other things going on that have not been detailed as I understand.  Signalling and track layout improvements.  I know that there are some signalling upgrades happening Beenleigh - Ormeau, and I assume other changes between Beenleigh and Kuraby and at Beenleigh.  Not sure though if that will get 15 minutes each direction over the line.  It will be certainly possible Beenleigh <-> Varsity Lakes as it is with the track amplification of course, how it works out in from Beenleigh not so confident.
If not a 15min offpeak frequency What about a 20min off peak frequency till 9pm including public Holidays? (Prefer a 15min frequency from 7am till 9pm 7 days on that line).

Gazza

I think Its a matter of track capacity than anything.

James

Quote from: verbatim9 on December 17, 2015, 11:54:09 AMIf not a 15min offpeak frequency What about a 20min off peak frequency till 9pm including public Holidays? (Prefer a 15min frequency from 7am till 9pm 7 days on that line).

20 minute frequency would directly clash with Beenleigh line trains (as you'd have a coastie too close to an all-stopper at one point), and it would also be out of sync with the frequent buses connecting with the railway line every 15 minutes. Once the Coomera - Helensvale upgrade is done, the main capacity constraint is actually between Salisbury and Kuraby.

If they'd quadruplicated it instead of duplicating it, we could run 15 minute services all the way out to Beenleigh and Varsity Lakes. But no, it is half-baked, just like everything else in Queensland. :fp: There was a thread somewhere on this forum which showed that 15 minute frequency for both Beenleigh and Gold Coast lines in the off-peak was possible using just 3 tracks, just it was a very unstable arrangement - slight delays would quickly cause late running. And knowing QR's love of sacrificing frequency for operational simplicity, that plan would never fly.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

SurfRail

There are ways around it.  Unfortunately, most of those would probably involve Gold Coast trains running a bit slower.

Maybe terminate all Beenleigh trains at Kingston and run Gold Coast trains all stations from Kingston to Varsity Lakes. 

The sad thing is that this wouldn't actually slow things down too much, the state of the line being what it is.
Ride the G:

verbatim9

Quote from: SurfRail on December 17, 2015, 14:39:56 PM
There are ways around it.  Unfortunately, most of those would probably involve Gold Coast trains running a bit slower.

Maybe terminate all Beenleigh trains at Kingston and run Gold Coast trains all stations from Kingston to Varsity Lakes. 

The sad thing is that this wouldn't actually slow things down too much, the state of the line being what it is.
I don't think Gold Coast residents/commuters would like their stop pattern increased

Old Northern Road

Wouldn't 8tph on the Gold Coast line mean only 4 trains per hour for the Beenleigh line?

SurfRail

Quote from: Old Northern Road on December 17, 2015, 19:08:17 PM
Wouldn't 8tph on the Gold Coast line mean only 4 trains per hour for the Beenleigh line?

As is the case now.  The holy trinity of missing elements stopping this being implemented today is the Coomera River section (being procured), the 4 extra stabling roads at Robina (now being built) and additional trains (coming next year).  What it also means is every Beenleigh train in peak is going to have a slightly extended dwell at Bethania P3.
Ride the G:

Old Northern Road

What's the maximum amount of trains they can run on the surburbans? 24?

There are currently 2 trains during the morning peak that take 6mins between Edens Landing and Bethania instead of the usual 2mins. So all peak trains will now have to do this? 68mins from Holmview. Not sure too many people would bother.

SurfRail

Quote from: Old Northern Road on December 18, 2015, 00:48:18 AM
What's the maximum amount of trains they can run on the surburbans? 24?

There are currently 2 trains during the morning peak that take 6mins between Edens Landing and Bethania instead of the usual 2mins. So all peak trains will now have to do this? 68mins from Holmview. Not sure too many people would bother.

You'll see those 2 coincide with the Gold Coast trains which run to Doomben rather than the airport.  I can only guess where the new Gold Coast trains will terminate after passing the Valley.

If you wanted a faster trip, you'd change at Loganlea or Altandi.
Ride the G:

ozbob

Beenleigh needs a more functional track layout, and a third platform.

Do that, with the associated signalling upgrades 15 minute might just be achievable.

LRV 018

Forgive me, I'm just a bit confused about this discussion on a 15 min at-best frequency...

From the Bulletin article quoted earlier:
QuoteGold Coast-Brisbane rail upgrade will see trains leave every 7.5 minutes

So this article is rubbish? There won't be 8tph in each direction on the GC line?
It seems as though the above discussion is on the issue of 4tph in off-peak once trains reach Beenleigh — how will 8tph work if 4tph doesn't!?

If someone could please state the inbound/outbound peak frequency and inbound/outbound off-peak frequency that the GC Line will get post-duplication that would be really helpful. As I said, I'm just a bit confused.

Eagerly looking forward to the duplication, has been a long time coming for the Gold Coast Line :D

ozbob

SurfRail

With the current timetable it will be 8tph in the peak flow but not much else for ordinary day to day running, as track capacity issues on the Beenleigh line and through the CBD are yet to be resolved.

It will make it much easier for special event services and the Commonwealth Games.
Ride the G:

LRV 018

Quote from: SurfRail on December 18, 2015, 17:26:51 PM
With the current timetable it will be 8tph in the peak flow but not much else for ordinary day to day running, as track capacity issues on the Beenleigh line and through the CBD are yet to be resolved.

It will make it much easier for special event services and the Commonwealth Games.

Ok, just for clarification, that's 8tph in both directions (8tph inbound, 8tph outbound), not a total of 8tph in each direction (4tph inbound, 4tph outbound)?

Also, I still don't see how the track capacity issues restrict the number of off-peak trains running but not peak trains, as you seem to be saying. If they can run 8tph in peak, what prevents the same (or a bit less, depending on demand) in off-peak?

SurfRail

Quote from: DarcyReynolds36 on December 18, 2015, 17:40:50 PM
Quote from: SurfRail on December 18, 2015, 17:26:51 PM

Ok, just for clarification, that's 8tph in both directions (8tph inbound, 8tph outbound), not a total of 8tph in each direction (4tph inbound, 4tph outbound)?

Also, I still don't see how the track capacity issues restrict the number of off-peak trains running but not peak trains, as you seem to be saying. If they can run 8tph in peak, what prevents the same (or a bit less, depending on demand) in off-peak?

Nup.  It's 8 trains per hour in the peak flow direction, and the usual 2tph the other way and at all other times. 

There wouldn't be any need for that kind of frequency against the peak, or outside of peak hour at all. 

You can't do 4tph (or better) in both directions, because the Beenleigh line operation does not permit it.  This can't be solved without building more track capacity north of Beenleigh to reduce clashes.  In the longer term, if that is resolved, you could eventually have multiple tiered 4tph patterns running south from the city as far as the southern end of the Gold Coast.
Ride the G:

LRV 018

Quote from: SurfRail on December 18, 2015, 18:56:23 PM
Nup.  It's 8 trains per hour in the peak flow direction, and the usual 2tph the other way and at all other times. 

There wouldn't be any need for that kind of frequency against the peak, or outside of peak hour at all. 

You can't do 4tph (or better) in both directions, because the Beenleigh line operation does not permit it.  This can't be solved without building more track capacity north of Beenleigh to reduce clashes.  In the longer term, if that is resolved, you could eventually have multiple tiered 4tph patterns running south from the city as far as the southern end of the Gold Coast.

OK, thanks SurfRail, that makes plenty of sense. I'm on the same page as everyone else now :D

I'll take an educated guess that the track amplification Beenleigh—City is a while off yet.
Oh well, it seems that good infrastructure takes time.
More time in QLD :bna:

SurfRail

^ Pretty much.

That said, we won't be in any imminent danger of running out of room on our peak hour trains for a while yet.
Ride the G:

ozbob

Media release

Minister for Transport and the Commonwealth Games
The Honourable Stirling Hinchliffe

Gold Coast heavy rail upgrade ramps up with community information sessions

Gold Coast residents are invited to community information sessions next week to learn more about the $163 million Coomera to Helensvale heavy rail duplication project, which will help transform the region's public transport network ahead of the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

Minister for Transport and Commonwealth Games Stirling Hinchliffe said the state-funded project would support 200 construction jobs and improve train service capacity and reliability on the Gold Coast line into the future.

"This upgrade is a gold medal project for the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games and will deliver 8.2 kilometres of new rail track between Coomera and Helensvale stations, new overhead power lines and signalling systems, and eight new rail bridges," Mr Hinchliffe said.

"Next month crews will be building civil structures required to duplicate the rail line including eight bridges, one of which will span 860 metres across the Coomera River, Hope Island Road and Saltwater Creek.

"With civil construction scheduled to kick off in March the information sessions will ensure the community and local residents who live near the rail corridor are well-informed about the scope of the project."

The sessions will be held at Helensvale Plaza between 23-27 February at the following times:

10am-2pm on Tuesday 23 February
    4pm-7pm on Thursday 25 February
    10am-2pm on Saturday 27 February

Minister Hinchliffe said the project was part of the Palaszczuk Government's plan to invest in public transport ahead of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games.

"Public transport will play a large role in the success of the Commonwealth Games and this duplication will deliver the additional track capacity required to increase peak hour services on the Gold Coast line by more than 33 per cent," Mr Hinchliffe said.

"This project is a permanent investment in public transport for the rapidly expanding Gold Coast region and will deliver the capacity needed to double the number trains travelling to the Gold Coast in morning peak and back to Brisbane in afternoon peak."

The Coomera to Helensvale project is expected to be finished in late 2017.

For more information about the project, residents can visit queenslandrail.com.au/C2H or contact the project team at C2H@qr.com.au or 1800 664 484 (free call).

nathandavid88

I'm so jealous to see that the upgrades will see contra-peak frequency upped to 4tph! I would have killed for that during my uni days.

BrizCommuter

Quote from: nathandavid88 on February 18, 2016, 16:06:29 PM
I'm so jealous to see that the upgrades will see contra-peak frequency upped to 4tph! I would have killed for that during my uni days.

"Increased contra-peak services (Brisbane to Gold Coast in the morning and Gold Coast to Brisbane in the evening) from two trains per hour to four trains per hour"

I think this needs a big 'please explain' from QR on how they will achieve this without a counter-peak overtaking track.

HappyTrainGuy

Who says its going to/from Brisbane?

BrizCommuter

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on February 18, 2016, 20:18:20 PM
Precisely. If it is going to/from Brisbane, it'll be going slowly in one direction!

HappyTrainGuy

My point was Beenleigh-Varsity Lakes shuttles.

achiruel

Could the third road at Kingston be used as a passing loop for ib trains?

SurfRail

Quote from: BrizCommuter on February 18, 2016, 20:48:45 PM
Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on February 18, 2016, 20:18:20 PM
Precisely. If it is going to/from Brisbane, it'll be going slowly in one direction!

By the time C2H is completed the problem will be service separation, not hard infrastructure limits.  It could be the case that there is a special timetable for the Games period which sacrifices the Beenleigh line a bit. 
Ride the G:

verbatim9

Has anyone written to QR asking if anymore passing loops will be built along side the completion of the duplication?

SurfRail

The project is only concerned with fixing the single track section. 

What ever else is going to be proposed would be governed by what is being looked at for Cross River Rail Mk 2.
Ride the G:

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: achiruel on February 21, 2016, 10:34:49 AM
Nope.

ozbob

JOINT STATEMENT
Premier and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

Deputy Premier, Minister for Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning and Minister for Trade and Investment
The Honourable Jackie Trad

Minister for Transport and the Commonwealth Games
The Honourable Stirling Hinchliffe

Sod turned on $163 million rail project set to deliver 200 jobs

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, Deputy Premier Jackie Trad and Minister for Transport Stirling Hinchliffe today turned the first sod on the Coomera to Helensvale rail duplication, marking the start of work on the $163 million project.

Ms Palaszczuk said the project would significantly improve train capacity and reliability on the Gold Coast line ahead of the 2018 Commonwealth Games and support more than 200 jobs during construction.

"This is an exciting milestone as we begin work to duplicate the only remaining section of single track on the Gold Coast rail line," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"The project will provide a major boost for the construction industry, providing up to two years employment for more than 200 people working in trades such as engineering, electrical, steel fixing, concreting and carpentery."

Ms Trad said the project was a vital infrastructure project for the Coast and would transform the region's public transport network.

"This project is an investment in public transport for the rapidly expanding Gold Coast region," Ms Trad said.

"This critical infrastructure project will deliver the capacity needed to double the number trains travelling to the Gold Coast in morning peak and back to Brisbane in afternoon peak."

Mr Hinchliffe said work will involve duplicating 8.2 kilometres of rail track between Coomera and Helensvale stations and significantly improve public transport in the region by providing the opportunity to introduce extra peak hour services and additional capacity from Brisbane to the Gold Coast, ahead of the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

"The Palaszczuk Government is committed to investing in infrastructure in the Gold Coast region ahead of the Games - an event that will inject $2 billion into the Queensland economy and generate around 30,000 jobs," Mr Hinchliffe said.

"This project will not only support the Gold Coast region to host one of the world's largest sporting events, but will also cater for the region's growing number of residents and visitors.

"The Gold Coast rail line is a key gateway from Brisbane to the Gold Coast region and records around 4.5 million passenger journeys per year, but is currently at capacity during peak times."

Mr Hinchliffe said over the past month, Queensland Rail had been preparing the site for construction and holding information sessions with the community.

"Feedback on the project has been overwhelmingly positive, with Gold Coast train commuters welcoming an increase in train capacity on the Gold Coast line," Mr Hinchliffe said.

"Over the next couple of months, construction teams will begin to lay foundations for the second track, which will include construction of eight new rail bridges totalling 1,400 metres in length, one of which will span 860m across the Coomera River, Hope Island Road and Saltwater Creek."

The project is expected to be finished in late 2017.

Overlay:

Time-lapse from front of train: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIuQt6dnV0M

Normal speed from front of train: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSGp_C0R24U

Drone vision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViOOfadYag0

#Metro

Good. They can put that up as their first 'concrete' achievement in infrastructure!
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

SurfRail

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on February 21, 2016, 20:35:12 PM
Nope.

If you built a third platform on the western side you could potentially use the middle platform as an overtaking lane.
Ride the G:

nathandavid88

I assume you mean the south (Butter factory and third line) side? I think that could be done relatively easily. There is space there, and you wouldn't need  removing too many carparks to do it.

petey3801

Could be done, but in reality, with Bethania only two stations before Kingston, there isn't all that much point IMO.
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

achiruel

Nope.

I'm pretty sure it can, because I saw it happen last week. Airport express train using it through Kingston.

petey3801

Quote from: achiruel on March 14, 2016, 21:15:07 PM
Nope.

I'm pretty sure it can, because I saw it happen last week. Airport express train using it through Kingston.

It can, but it is certainly not ideal, with very restrictive signalling and slow speed applying to the loop line.
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

achiruel

I know it's a terrible diagram, but could something like this be potentially done?

Kingston P1: Ferny Grove/all stations trains
Kingston P2: Northbound express (Airport/Doomben)
Kingston P3: All southbound trains
Loganlea: as per current arrangements
Bethania P1: All northbound trains
Bethania P2: Southbound express (Varsity Lakes)
Bethania P3: Beenleigh trains

This would allow express trains that are immediately following an all stations train to overtake at Kingston (northbound) or Bethania (southbound).

I'm not sure what signalling or other requirements would be required in order to have the all stations trains proceed with minimal waiting time.

It would certainly be cheaper than full triplication in this section which would require bridges over the Logan Mwy and Logan River.

SurfRail

That isn't how the track is laid out.  At Bethania the "passing lane" is on the inbound track same as at Kingston.
Ride the G:

🡱 🡳