• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Melbourne May 2014

Started by ozbob, May 08, 2014, 10:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Due to a family bereavement will be heading down to the 5'3" again.   Ballarat Monday.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

Fares_Fair

Quote from: ozbob on May 08, 2014, 10:42:45 AM
Due to a family bereavement will be heading down to the 5'3" again.   Ballarat Monday.

Sorry to hear ozbob.
Wish you and the family well.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

Thanks.   Life marches on ...

ozbob

On the way ...

Photographs R Dow 10th May 2014

ozbob

Photographs R Dow 10th May 2014

ozbob

Timetable poster Carnegie.  Did a few trips along the Dandenong corridor yesterday, 10 minute trains almost like a true metro in some respects.  Lots of passengers travelling as well - Frequency and good fares, free for Vic Seniors on weekends, flat fare once cap reached ($6 adult)

#Metro

Notice how the timetables are presented - nice and simple. "Bus style" timetable presentation.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Quote from: Lapdog Transit on May 12, 2014, 06:14:43 AM
Notice how the timetables are presented - nice and simple. "Bus style" timetable presentation.

Fare table - simplicity in essence  ..

pandmaster

Quote from: Lapdog Transit on May 12, 2014, 06:14:43 AM

Desperately needed in Brisbane. It is a great way to check when the next train to the city when you live on multiple lines (e.g. Park Road, Eagle Junction). You can download them in PDF too!

ozbob

Wendouree

Photograph R Dow 12th May 2014

Southern Cross station

SkyBus - short wait this morning

Photographs R Dow 13th May 2014

ozbob

Another quick trip to Melbourne these past few days.  For family reasons but managed to do some public transport trips.

Melbourne's PT is generally frequent and affordable.  Trains start a little late on Sundays, something which needs fixing.

Lots of people travel around the clock, it is a large City.  The tram network is marvellous, and would go close to breaking even, lets hope the GC Light Rail is not left stranded for too long (no connection to heavy rail).  Buses are slowly improving although frequency and span not always ideal as you move out from Melbourne.  Myki works, albeit a little slow at times but for the cheap fares who really cares ... lol

V/Line is a fantastic service for country Victoria. Regional Rail Link cannot come fast enough, constant disruptions due to congested suburban network are frustrating for all.

It was suggested to me that the grade separations at Carnegie and Murrumbeena stations will be done as for Springvale.  Rail lowered.  Both locations are tight but there is some land that could be used to slew tracks and allow for construction.  Some resumptions will be necessary.

Spoke for a while to a couple of PSO (protective service officers) last evening.  The effect of having the PSOs at stations is really noticeable.  Stations are cleaner, lots of people using the system, and even toilets open.  An expensive move, but it has returned a lot of confidence and surety for people using the trains at night. 

ozbob

Had a lucky break on the journey back to Brisbane and home yesterday.

Travel to MEL uneventful (was fortunate I travelled early, there was later morning peak disruption in the City Loop).  BNE no issue.  Headed up for the Airtrain, 25 minutes to wait.

I decided having missed the connection last trip at Central (transfer from Airtrain to Ippy) that I would get off at Eagle Junction.  I was about to charge over to platform 3 when I noticed that the next Ipswich service was actually tracking through platform one at Eagle Junction (must have been some work going on somewhere).  Followed the Airtrain, so I was able to make it this time.  This arrived at Goodna at 3.05pm for the 3.25pm 524 bus.

🡱 🡳